Thursday 21 July 2011

Beer of the Week – Murray’s Best Extra


Imperial Porter 8%

Okay, technically the beer of last week, sue me.  I must say, I’m having difficulty seeing where the line between an Imperial Stout and an Imperial Porter is drawn, not that I’m complaining mind, for something as excellent as this the brewers could call it a Syphilis Stout for all I care, I’d still drink it.  The more I think about it I can’t help but liken this beer to the character of Omar Little from HBO’s The Wire, beyond the somewhat effeminate grace it is hard as nails, heed my warning friend, this is not a beer with which to fuck...
    
The Best Extra is as dark as they come and pours with a large, cream coloured head which leaves a thick, sticky lace coating the glass.  The nose is out of this world, sweet chocolaty caramel fudge but rounded with the faintest hint of sultanas and a slight roasted nuttiness.

The palate begins with the same sweet chocolate/caramel notes soon joined by a dry, fruity rum and raisin character.  Mid-way through the malty sweet chocolate flavour transitions to the firm bitterness of dark chocolate twinned with espresso which builds to a balanced, slightly spicy, finish.  There is a pleasant, long aftertaste of sweet plumb and dry dates. The mouth-feel is exactly what you want in this style of beer, firm yet yielding and duplicitously smooth. 
 
I imagine this being best enjoyed as a warming after dinner beer to accompany dessert.  The brewers suggest it matching it with chocolaty desserts, I wasn’t able to test this as fully as I would have liked, as all I had available was a Cadbury’s Favourites Moro which I found at the bottom of my bag.  Not a very good example to test the beer’s matching potential but I did discover the Best Extra doesn’t match too well with lint.  Then again, few things ever do...

Murray's comin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment