Friday 12 August 2011

Beer of the Week - Mornington Porter

English Porter 6%

Mornington Peninsula are a brewery whom have never once failed me, like some sort of craft beer battleship (The Beersmark! Anyone? Hello?), each successive beer I’ve tried has hit like a barrage of 475mL - sized shells.  I tried their 2IPA at some point and it blew me away, if all the other Double India Pale Ales were wrestlers Mornington’s would be Andre the Giant just stomping on faces. 

So, fast forward a few months to last Sunday at the Tap House where I sat and ogled this dark beauty.  Big-ass mocha coloured head (I think mocha’s a colour) atop aforementioned midnight dark body.  Smelt nice, mocha, although tilting more towards coffee than chocolate, with a good earthy undertone to give it a bit of depth, there’s also a slightly vapoury, sweet liquor character to the whole affair.  Harlot.

The flavour is assertive, lots’a dark fruit and earthy flavours at the beginning, becomes a bitter finish with chocolate and coffee and the slight tartness of sour cherries.  Add the soft, velvety mouthfeel of this Porter into the equation and you’re left with a beer which serves equally as well as a winter’s afternoon session beer, or as a contemplative after-dinner night cap. 

Possibly my favourite Australian Porter and on par with my NZ favourite, Emerson’s London.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment